Monday 24 May 2010

Places Brief- Evaluation

Unit 6-Places

Evaluation

Significant Place

For my significant place images I have decided to photograph my old work place ‘The Old School House’. I worked here for a period of over 5 years and had lots of happy memories of the place. Unfortunately it shut down in November last year and has been left a mess and looks a shadow of its former self. I have only showed half of the pub and this is to show the angle that everyone saw when they entered the car park. I just shot the image from eye level, I didn’t aim high I framed the image I wanted and then captured It.

The second place I have photographed is a car park outside my house. This is significant to me because what I photographed wasn’t just a car park it was my old football pitch when I was a child. It means a lot to me because this is where I learned how to kick a ball and play football. Nobody plays here anymore, neighbours complained over the years and ruined everyone’s fun. I suppose then that me and my friends were the minority that ruined everyone else’s fun.

City/Urban

From learning to play football we move on to the home of the mighty Manchester United, Old Trafford. I come to Old Trafford regularly and in a way it links to my significant places images. I learned to play football and came to watch the professionals, then went to the pub to celebrate or drown my sorrows, but in the main it was to celebrate. I have decided to show the ground both close-up and from afar. This is to show how big the ground actually is. Old Trafford believe it or not is actually one of Manchester’s biggest tourist attractions and recently celebrated it’s centenary year. The image from afar was taken from the viewing platform at the Imperial War Museum and Old Trafford is their most photographed building. The shot from outside the ground was taken on match day late in the afternoon

Wilderness/Countryside

For these images I have photographed in the woods and I also photographed a lodge near my house. The image of the tree with the rope on interested me as it looks like a failed attempt at a rope swing. I was a fan of rope swings in my youth and wanted to show this failed attempt. The rope is nowhere near strong enough to swing on.

The photograph of the lodge was taken in the sun for a reason, I wanted the trees to be green and have good colour in the image. I took the image a few months ago from the same position and it was really dark but in the sunshine I got my desired effect. I think the lodge symbolises peace and quiet, I love sitting near water and find it very relaxing and therapeutic

Alien Environment

For my ‘Alien’ environment photographs I have photographed a back street and Manchester Cathedral. These are two places that I am unfamiliar with so I photographed them and I feel that they fit in the category perfectly. I am not a religious person so Cathedrals are ‘Alien’ to me and aren’t places that I ever visit. The backstreet is ‘Alien’ to me in ways because it is a typical backstreet that you would expect to see in a big city with the industrial bins down the alley way. As I am from a village within a town I am more used to seeing wider backstreets and houses back to back with enough room to fit a car down. The Manchester backstreet therefore is something that I am definitely ‘Alien’ to.

No comments:

Post a Comment