Tuesday 11 May 2010

Places Brief- Final 8 Images

I have chosen my final 8 images for the places brief. Lots of thought has gone in to trying to capture images that fit both the categories of the brief and also relate to me in some way.

Significant Places Images

For the significant places images I have decided to show my old workplace 'The Old School House' which was a pub where I worked for over a period of 5 years. I also spent most of my wage putting it back over the bar and spent a lot of my time there and to show the pub as it is now upsets me in a way because I remember all the good times that I had there and recently the pub has been trashed.

Significant Place Image
Settings: f 5.6 1/200


The second Significant place I have chosen is of a car park in front of my house. I used to play football here as a young child with all my friends. We used to put jumpers down against the wall as goalposts and play football against the wall. Cars used to get hit and bumped and many times we were told to stop playing, but being young and rebellious we carried on playing all the time. Nobody plays anymore and a lot of my friends have moved away and there was only my generation that has played in the last 10 years. When I see this car park and house I see me as a child belting a ball around, but in reality I now just see a car park.

Significant Place
f.5.6 1/1,250



Wilderness Images

My Wilderness images have some meaning behind them and I have tried to show the meaning in my work. The first image is a rope on a tree branch in the woods. The rope used to be a rope swing which I used to attempt to make myself when I was younger, usually over a river and I was a bit of a thrill seeker when I was younger.

Settings: 1/60 f.10


The second Wilderness Image that I have chosen is a Lodge that is near my house. I love water and find the sound of a running river quite refreshing and relaxing. Sitting by the lodge is so peaceful and seems miles away from society.

Settings: f.5.6 1/800


Urban Images

For my two Urban images I have photographed Old Trafford Football Stadium from close-up and from afar. Old Trafford fits perfectly in to the Urban category as the stadium itself is in a Urban location. All around the ground shopping complexes and office blocks are being built and it is also built around a very industrial area. I have tried to show this in my work.

Settings: f.5.6 1/200

Settings: f.5.6 1/200



Alien Environment

My Alien Environment images were taken in Manchester City Centre. I am 'Alien' to Manchester and only really visit several times a year. I took Manchester Cathedral and a backstreet of Manchester. I am not really a religious person so Cathedrals are indeed 'alien' to me.
Settings: f.4.0 1/640


Backstreets in Manchester don't really mean a lot to me but being from a little village within a Town backstreets are different in my eyes. My backstreet view is of houses back to back with a single street with just enough room for a car. In Manchester a bustling City the backstreet is usually a small alleyway with a company dustbin outside. So this image is definitely 'alien' to me.

Settings: f.5.6 1/40


No comments:

Post a Comment